Chibok girls: Buratai reveals those behind swap of Boko Haram terrorists
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, says the swap of Boko Haram prisoners to secure the release of the second batch of 82 abducted Chibok schoolgirls was a political decision, not that of the military.
Featuring on BBC Programme, Hard Talk on Tuesday, the Army Chief said the Federal Government, at that time, believed that the decision to swap the prisoners for the girls was the best.
According to Buratai, “As far as I am concerned, we performed our own role for the safe passage of the abducted Chibok girls.
“The Boko Haram terrorists’ swap for the Chibok schoolgirls was a political decision, not a military decision. It is in the best interest of the nation and based on the circumstances, the government felt it was the best course.
“Personally, I think it has its own advantages; the message is to rescue the Chibok girls.
“I do not think anyone has said the Boko Haram has been eliminated. Terrorism is something that is resilient.”
Buratai noted that the inability of the Boko Haram insurgents to attack the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, and other northern states as they did before May 2015, showed they had been defeated.
“Before May 2015, the Boko Haram insurgents were even in Abuja, Kano and Kaduna. They were operating even to the South. We had to stop them.
“For the past one and a half years, we have not had any attack in Jos, Abuja, Kano and many other places, not even as close as Gombe State.
“They are only concentrated within certain areas in Borno and Yobe states.”
Business Entrepreneurial Technology Advocates (BETA)